Philip’s Academy has a rich history of providing a rigorous and nurturing educational program to families from low income and urban areas for almost 3 decades. The first Philip’s school opened its doors in Newark in 1988, to provide students with the academic skills necessary to thrive at independent secondary schools across the nation, thereby preparing them for a lifetime of personal achievement.
In the fall of 2013, St. Philip’s Academy made history when it became the first independent school in New Jersey to convert to a Charter School under a new state law. Converting from St. Philip’s Academy to Philip’s Academy Charter School enabled the organization to extend its successful educational model to more students. Two years after the conversion, in the fall of 2015, the Philip’s organization received approval to move ahead with expansion into Paterson.
Philip’s Academy Charter School of Paterson (PACS Paterson, or PACS) was established in 2016 with 60 kindergarten students who were selected by lottery. In 2017, with the initial group of 60 students moving on to first grade, 75 new kindergartners were welcomed to Philips. Each year, the school will expand one more grade until it is a full K-8 school. Currently we serve 435 students in grades K-5. We have been approved to grow through 8th grade and will be fully enrolled at 675 students by 2025.
At PACS Paterson we manifest our belief that love fuels everything, that the potential of all students and adults is understood to be unlimited, and that potential is unlocked not through tight control, but by holding a high bar while providing a truly safe and nurturing space where all of us assert independence, learn and grow.
At the conclusion of the 2019-20 school year, PACS Paterson transitioned from a shared services support structure to become a stand-alone site. As such, our focus on our students, their families, and their collective experience has expanded to include the operations, human resources and finance functions which were previously overseen by the management organization.
Understanding that this inflection point presents a natural opening for a new leader, the Board and PACS community will be excited to welcome our first CEO whose leadership will strengthen the organization and capacity to realize our mission and vision leveraging the school’s many assets.
Our new CEO will represent PACS Paterson in the community, and hold the standard for quality and accountability across all aspects of the organization. They will be inspiring, clear, direct and transparent in communicating expectations, and provide thoughtful and consistent support and coaching to team members to help them achieve their potential. Specific responsibilities will include:
- championing PACS Paterson’s organizational mission and vision and embodying its core beliefs;
- managing change processes in support of organizational and operational objectives, and fostering an organizational culture of belonging;
- in collaboration with the Board, overseeing the organizational budgeting process and annual strategic planning and ensuring that strategic priorities are aligned with budget priorities and translated into rigorous, executable plans;
- promoting and ensuring PACS Paterson’s continued financial sustainability by building a cost-efficient operational infrastructure and overseeing sound, timely and accurate financial management, planning and reporting processes;
- developing new and nurturing existing philanthropic relationships and supporting all fundraising efforts, including launch of a capital campaign;
- overseeing the real estate development project to build PACS’ permanent home in the community;
- engaging with parents, existing partners, local leaders and organizations, and elected officials;
- partnering with programmatic and instructional teams to ensure alignment and seamless integration of our operational and instructional functions;
- recruiting high-performing, mission-aligned talent for all levels of the organization;
- implementing effective talent management strategies throughout the organization, including developing and operationalizing a path to advancement that is open, in both principle and practice, to all team members;
- coaching and mentoring direct reports, ensuring the clarity and resources they need for success, and
- promoting the innovation, testing, piloting, and scaling of new solutions and program options (particularly in the middle school) that drive student achievement and position PACS Paterson as a preferred source of well-rounded, values-driven, academically strong candidates for the enrollment in the region’s top high schools.
You are a strong candidate to lead PACS Paterson if, above all, you too believe that love fuels everything and every child’s genius will emerge if expectations are high and the environment is safe and inviting. Your “special sauce” is at the nexus of team and culture building, management, internal organizational leadership and systems optimization. You will also bring experience or demonstrated capacity:
- as a senior-level leader able to lead a mission-driven educational organization.
- supporting K-8 academic and instructional leaders to improve and enhance their craft and its impact on students.
- building and implementing organizational systems and processes that ensure operational efficiency and cross-functional communication and collaboration.
- reaching out to and engaging within the community to build meaningful partnerships.
- with data and data-driven decision making, particularly as it pertains to K-8 student achievement.
- managing people and organizational operations.
- communicating with a diverse set of stakeholders in a way that informs and unites stakeholders.
- supporting a technology infused curriculum and fostering related innovation.
- Unwavering commitment to the achievement of all students – particularly those traditionally underserved
- A leadership style and presence that inspires confidence and passion
- Commitment to continuous self and organizational improvement and the persistence, zeal, scrappiness, and spirit to lead an evolving, mission-driven organization toward ambitious goals
While not required, the following credentials would be preferred:
- Prior experience in charter schools
- A relationship to New Jersey, and Paterson in particular
- A relevant graduate degree
- Experience with Power School or similar student data management system
Reporting directly to Philip’s Academy Paterson’s Board of Trustees, the Chief Executive Officer will manage and support a team that includes the Chief Academic Officer, school business administrator and operations leadership team whose responsibilities include (but are not limited to) enrollment management, student data systems and information technology.
Philip’s Academy Paterson offers competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package, including a collaborative and committed team of colleagues, and comprehensive benefits.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by January 31, 2022.
Philip’s Academy Paterson does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and clients.
Not ready to apply but interested in learning more about this position?
Thank you for your interest in the Chief Executive Officer role.
If you would like to connect with someone on our Executive Search team to better understand the role before applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.