OVERVIEW OF CAUSE AND MISSION:
Atlanta is the cradle of the civil rights movement and the economic engine of the Southeast. Yet, for generations, students from low-income communities, particularly Black and Latinx students, have been denied access to a public education that is of equally high quality as that available to the city’s more affluent children. However, conditions for meaningful, positive change in Atlanta do exist, perhaps more so than in any other city in the South. Atlanta has a new Superintendent who has indicated a strong focus on equity, a relatively high per-pupil expenditure rate, and an abundance of human capital. redefinED atlanta is working to harness these conditions more fully and collaboratively to deliver educational excellence and equity to all students.
Our vision is for Atlanta to be a place where every student in every community receives a high-quality public education. We accomplish this by engaging communities, advocating for equity, and funding critical work to drive systemic level improvement in K-12 public education for students and families.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
This past year we championed initiatives that yielded meaningful policy wins and had a needle-moving impact on the talent work at the district. We also supported the launch of some of the strongest new schools in Atlanta, and invested more than $300,000 in five community nonprofits that are supporting the education needs of Black, Latinx and other under-resourced students and families in the city.
During the summer, we funded $170,000 in small-dollar grants to parent-led organizations through our redefinED Innovation Fund: Pandemic & Education Restart, to parents and caregivers in APS who faced hardship due to the pandemic. These families included 474 children who attend 61 different schools.
In the area of voter mobilization, we launched the Get Out The Vote campaign to increase voter participation in the November 2021 elections for Atlanta mayor, city council, and APS school board members. Efforts from the campaign allowed us to secure more than 1,400 voter commitments in the general elections and nearly 1,100 in the runoff elections.
Since 2016, redefinED has partnered with the district and community to increase Atlanta’s capacity to offer every child in every community an education that will set them on the path to a choice-filled life.
The Senior Director of Schools position represents an exciting opportunity to join a mission-driven, committed and high-functioning team. The person selected for this role will be part of a thriving organization and community of dedicated stakeholders acting with urgency to realize equity and excellence in education. We are a small, horizontal and entrepreneurial team whose energy and creativity are elevated when we work shoulder to shoulder together. We also enjoy a diverse, aligned and deeply engaged board whose support and influence make our work better and easier.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Director of Schools will support the execution of redefinED’s school growth strategy. This position will play a vital role in the start-up of new schools and school expansion, and provide resources and guidance to school and district leaders and governance entities. The Senior Director of Schools will foster collaboration and accountability, and stand with the community to hold the bar for quality and excellence. Specifically, the Senior Director of Schools will support school growth through the following workstreams:
- Building partnerships with school incubator and school pipeline organizations
- Supporting the development of an early-stage school leader pipeline
New School Authorization
- Staying up to date on District/State petition process
- Building relationships with all incubating schools
- Building relationships with district and state leaders who oversee the school petition process
- Providing or oversee technical assistance to schools
- Supporting petition review process
- Developing plans to support strong petitioners who have been denied
School Planning, Launch and Growth
- Supporting early stage expansion planning
- Overseeing coaching
- Overseeing Technical Assistance (budget, cash flow, hiring, procurement, vendor management, general operations, etc.)
- Support schools in securing viable school facilities
- Supporting the buildout of a comprehensive facilities plan that includes technical assistance, policy solutions, proactive sourcing of sites, etc.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The Senior Director of Schools will thrive in the sometimes-relentless pace and often ambiguous space of start-up, execution and growth. They will bring content expertise in education, and be able to operate at the nexus of schools, districts, communities and nonprofits. They will also bring experience or demonstrated capacity:
- working with diverse communities and building strong relationships;
- fostering productive partnerships;
- communicating in a way that is clear and accessible to a wide range of stakeholders;
- indirectly managing and influencing teams and individuals to meet specific and strategic outcomes;
- supporting multiple projects and competing priorities across multiple teams of people with a meticulous attention to detail;
- leading in a school, district or nonprofit, including knowledge of best practices in teaching, learning and leadership, and
- generally supporting the startup and scaling of innovative, effective schools and school models.
The Senior Director of Schools will report to Angira Sceusi, Vice president of Investments and Operations.
The salary range for this position is $100k-$130k and includes full benefits. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
The Executive Search team at Promise54 is managing this search. Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, please submit a resume and letter of interest (in a single PDF file) to Leslie Nair, Partner, at email@example.com by March 4, 2022.
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY AND INCLUSION
We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff and contractors, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all staff members, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors.
Furthermore, as an organization, redefinED atlanta commits to:
- attracting and retaining staff with diverse identities, backgrounds, and lived experience in public schools and the public-school system;
- further diversifying our board to include deeper lived experience and perspective from public school parents and under-resourced communities, and
- creating an inclusive working culture that celebrates difference, promotes universal belonging, and fosters ongoing learning and personal growth.
Thank you for your interest in the Senior Director of Schools role.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled.
For best consideration, please submit a resume and letter of interest (in a single PDF file) to Leslie Nair, Partner, at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 4, 2022.
Not ready to apply but interested in learning more about this position?
Thank you for your interest in the Senior Director of Schools role.
If you would like to connect with someone on our Executive Search team to better understand the role before applying, please contact email@example.com.